Gennaro Lombardi first opened a grocery store in New York City in 1897. Even though Lombardi‚Äôs‚Äô was only a grocery store, it quickly became a popular lunch hangout after Gennaro began selling tomato and cheese pies to take out. Gennaro‚Äôs early pizzas were conveniently wrapped in plain paper and became a favorite of workers who ate them right on their jobsites without the need for a table or utensils. The popularity of the take-out pies soon prompted Gennaro to apply for a formal New York City mercantile restaurant license and his little grocery store became the first commercial pizzeria in the United States in the year 1905.
Lombardi‚Äôs pizzas were (and still are) baked in giant coal-fired ovens. Unlike the small, home-made pizzas, Gennaro‚Äôs commercial pizzas were huge creations with diameters of up to 20-inches. Since most (normal) workers could never consume a whole Lombardi‚Äôs pie at a single sitting, Gennaro came up with the idea of offering to sell his pizzas by the slice. At the time, a whole Lombardi‚Äôs pizza cost only a nickel, and two cents was enough for nearly half a pie. The triple combination of quality, price and convenience firmly established Lombardi‚Äôs early pizzeria as America‚Äôs first and ultimate pizza place.
Over time, Lombardi‚Äôs New York Pizzeria gathered a cult-like following of pizza fans who would line up daily to purchase their favorite slices of pizza heaven. Repeat customers became territorial about their right to purchase Gennaro‚Äôs magical pies and fights, favorites and bribes were not uncommon events in the waiting line. One of the worst fates possible for a true pizza addict at Lombardi‚Äôs was falling out of favor with the cooks for an error in lunch line etiquette. Life at Lombardi‚Äôs was over for the pizza fan that earned the ire of the pizza chef and was sternly told ‚ÄúNo pizza for you!‚ÄĚ The scenario was repeated so often it became part of New York culinary folklore, and eventually worked its way into a modern-day television comedian‚Äôs routine after ‚Äúpizza‚ÄĚ was replaced with ‚Äúsoup.‚ÄĚ
Gennaro eventually passed away and a succession of sons and grandsons took over the pizzeria until 1984 when the family closed the doors. One decade later, Lombardi‚Äôs reopened one block away at 32 Spring Street where the business still stands today. If you like old-fashioned coal-oven-fired pizza with a history of over one hundred years of thin, crisp crust topped with fine mozzarella and tomatoes, Lombardi‚Äôs is still the first and only place to eat.